Hawkwell Driving School - Driving lessons in Hockley, Rayleigh, Rochford, & Hullbridge. Tel. 01702 204674
Cockpit safety drill ; pre-start; and start-up:
Safety drill on entering the car :
- Handbrake - pull it up, to make sure the car is secure
- Seat position - clutch fully down with knee slightly bent
- Seat position - be able to reach the top of the steering wheel with
arms slightly bent.
- Seatbelt - no twists, and lock securely
- Headrest (whiplash protectors are what they really are) up with the top
above your eye level.
- Adjust mirrors (as described on basics page)
Before you start the engine:
- Footbrake pressed and held - to check that your brakes are working.
- Clutch down - to disconnect the engine in case it is in gear - some cars won't start unless you push the clutch down.
- Re-check handrake by lifting it, to ensure that its is on and working.
- gear lever into neutral - feel the spring to be sure (it can still wobble in gear)
Once the engine is started:
- Check fuel contents on fuel gauge
- Check that all dashboard warning lights are off.
- Check that windscreen demisters are set, and that you can see out OK.
- Check that radio, or CD, is set / off
- Check that you know how to work the lights and windscreen wipers, and switch them on if necessary.
If a warning light comes on when you are driving. Stop and check what it means. it's generally expensive.
Teaching people to drive for over 30 years! Professional driving lessons with Alan J Barker BA DSA ADI.
Covering Hockley, Rayleigh, Rochford, & Hullbridge areas